Forget about fat-filled sour cream-based dips! Well, not forever, just for today. Because today we are making Sour Cream & Onion Hummus! Full of creamy chickpeas, tangy sour cream, and onions two ways. This recipe requires no chopping and is ready in 5 minutes! Healthy(ish) food never tasted so good!
What’s not to love about this rich, creamy, and slightly tangy dip? It’s perfect served with crunchy pita chips! Or, thick and crispy potato chips! It’s even better scooped up with a crisp cucumber coin! Or, drag a sweet and juicy red pepper slice through it! Sour Cream & Onion Hummus may actually make you into a vegetable lover if you aren’t one already!
One Hummus. Sooooo many ways to love it!
Hummus isn’t just for snacks. Jeff & I use it for so many things at mealtime.
- Pour it over hot cooked pasta and toss to coat the noodles. Reserve some of the pasta cooking water when you drain the noodles and add a bit to the hummus coated noodles if it seems dry.
- Smear a bit of Sour Cream & Onion Hummus on two slices of toasted multigrain bread. Add slices of roasted turkey breast and top with avocado slices and sprouts. Lunch for two is served!
- Put a scoop or two on a garden salad instead of salad dressing.
- Toast a sourdough English muffin. Spread with the hummus. Top with a thick slice of juicy fresh tomato. Absolute Heaven!
A lot of days lunchtime comes and goes. 2 pm rolls around, and I’m starving! With a container of this hummus in the fridge, I have no excuse not to eat something healthy! Because honestly, without this lifesaver waiting for me in the fridge, I would grab a pack of peanut butter and cheese crackers. Not exactly nutritious or filling!
If you have 5 minutes, you’ve got all the time you need to make this! It’s the perfect appetizer for when last-minute guests drop by. And it also makes a terrific after-school snack for the kids!
I know you’ll enjoy this quick & easy recipe! If you would like to receive recipes from Yums & Kisses straight to your inbox every week, you can sign up at the bottom of the page! Also, follow me on Pinterest! I’m gonna dive into some of this delicious hummus, now! Can’t wait to visit with you again soon!Print
Sour Cream & Onion Hummus is rich, creamy, tangy! Perfect for dipping your favorite crudites or snack chips! Healthy never tasted so good!!
15 ounce can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup full-fat sour cream
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp warm water
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 Tbsp hot sauce (I used Cholula)
2 tsp dried minced onion flakes
dash of cayenne (optional)
- Place all of the ingredients, except the dried onion flakes, into a high-powered blender.
- Purée until smooth.
- Transfer the hummus to a storage bowl and stir in the onion flakes.
- Refrigerate until chilled.
- Hummus will keep in the refrigerator for five days.
- If you don’t have Cholula hot sauce substitute your favorite brand!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sour cream and onion hummus, chickpeas, healthy snack