Strawberry Black Pepper Basil Cocktail is a perfectly refreshing summertime drink! Strawberry puree, homemade black pepper simple syrup, vodka, and muddled basil leaves create this sippable stunner!
For the Black Pepper Syrup:
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup water
pinch of sea salt
2 Tablespoons whole black peppercorns
1 Tablespoon coarsely ground black peppercorns
For the Strawberry Puree:
1 cup frozen sliced strawberries, thawed
For Assembling the Cocktail:
2 Tablespoons strawberry puree
4 Tablespoons Black Pepper Syrup
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons vodka
8 large basil leaves
Club soda, for topping
To Make the Black Pepper Syrup:
- Combine the sugar, water, and sea salt in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a low boil over medium heat, stirring frequently to dissolve the sugar. Reduce the heat to a simmer, and add the peppercorns, and ground pepper.
- Stir frequently while simmering for 6-7 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and cool for one hour.
- Strain the pepper from the syrup and refrigerate.
To make the Strawberry Puree:
- Place the thawed strawberries with their juice into a blender or food processor. Blend until the berries are completely smooth. Alternatively, you can put the berries in a large cup and use an immersion blender to puree them.
To Assemble the Cocktail:
- Muddle the basil leaves in a cocktail shaker
- Add the strawberry puree, black pepper syrup, lemon juice, and vodka.
- Place several ice cubes into the shaker.
- Place the top on the shaker. Shake vigorously for a minute.
- Divide the cocktail among two coup glasses.
- Top with club soda and a small basil leaf, if desired.
- If you’re like me and like your drinks with a hint of heat, feel free to garnish your cocktail with a few grindings of coarse black pepper!
- I find the flavor of this drink is balanced using frozen strawberries. Sometimes fresh berries are a bit tart. Frozen are consistently sweet!
- Leftover strawberry puree may be refrigerated for up to four days. There will be enough puree to make a few rounds of this cocktail!
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: strawberry black pepper basil cocktail, summer cocktail, strawberries and basil, strawberries and black pepper, fruit and herb cocktail, black pepper syrup