Happy Weekend, friends! Can’t believe Memorial Day weekend is here already! What are your plans? What are you grilling/cooking? Seriously, I plan on spending as much time outdoors this weekend as I can. It seems all it has done is rain here in Cleveland. This Homemade Onion Dip is guaranteed to get us out of the kitchen quickly so we can lounge by the pool (or run through the garden hose, in my case). If you are having a last minute get together this dip is going to become your favorite back pocket recipe. I bet you even have the ingredients on hand already!
Do I have to cook onions for this?
Nope! This is going to be seriously simple. Go to your spice cabinet. Do you have dried onion flakes, onion powder, garlic powder, and smoked paprika? Now, if you have sour cream, mayo, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce (preferably, Cholula!) and soy sauce, you are in business!
Awesome, right? And you didn’t have to make a trip to the grocery store! Winner, Winner, Chipper, Dipper! Ha! Kind of like Winner, Winner, Chicken, Dinner but better! Sorry, I couldn’t help myself. Ok. Moving on!
What can I serve this Homemade Onion Dip with?
The possibilities are many! Some of our favorites are:
- Funyuns. Remember those? I mean if we are going to have onion breath we may as well do it up!
- Cheese cubes- cheese cubes? Yup, Jeff has been known to do this. Could be why he is seeing a cardiologist.
- Pita Chips
- Sourdough pretzels
- Tortilla Chips-preferably thick style!
- Baked/Grilled Potatoes
- Veggies! My favorite veggies to dip in this are broccoli and red peppers! Never green peppers, though. Blech. Not a fan of the green ones.
- Cheeseburgers- This is so good on a burger dripping with melted cheddar! Ooh, la la!
- Crunchy potato chips, you know the ones that are sturdy, ridged and salty!
Anything else you care to share?
Well, if you looking for a sweet treat to take to a party, try my Chocolate Chip & Toasted Oatmeal cookies recipe! I hope everybody enjoys the long weekend. Be safe. Eat well. Laugh A lot!Print
The Best Homemade Onion Dip! This no-cook homemade onion dip contains ingredients you probably have on hand! Perfect for a last-minute gathering! Fantastic with crunchy potato chips or with those veggies we are all trying to sneak into our diet! Jeff & I even put this on cheeseburgers! It’s fantastic!
1 and 1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
1 Tablespoon hot sauce ( i prefer Cholula, but use your favorite!)
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 Tbsp + 2 tsp dried onion flakes
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
minced fresh chives or thinly sliced scallions, for garnish (opt.)
This recipe is super-duper easy!
- In a medium-size bowl, combine all of the ingredients (except the chives) using a whisk or a rubber spatula.
- Cover the bowl.
- Chill the dip in the fridge for an hour or more.
- Garnish with minced chives or scallions, if desired.
- Open a bag of chips, make a margarita, and now it’s your turn to chill for an hour or more!
- I tested this recipe using Cholula hot sauce, but if you have a favorite, use it!
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Stir
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: onion, dip, the best onion dip, homemade onion dip, appetizer