Have you seen lemon ice cream in the grocery store? Sure, there’s lemon sherbet and lemon sorbet, but ice cream? Nope! For the sake of the best lemon ice cream recipe you will ever make, I churned batch after batch of sweet and tangy Triple Lemon Ice Cream! I promise you, one bite and you’ll lose your mind!
So, we have a birthday in our house this week! I won’t tell you how many years young Jeff will be. Let’s just say he’s not so young! Ha! When I asked the birthday boy what he wanted for his birthday dessert, I totally expected him to choose one of his favorites. Such as:
- His Aunt Jess’s Banana Split Ice Box Cake
- Yellow Cake with Chocolate Frosting
- Lemon Meringue Pie
But no! He didn’t choose any of them! Without hesitation, he said, “Triple Lemon Ice Cream.” Cue the record scratch! I mean, I’ve been churning out batch after batch of this frozen lemony goodness for weeks! One would think he would be tired of it! Friends, that is a testimonial to how delicious this ice cream is!
What makes it Triple Lemon Ice Cream?
- We start by infusing granulated sugar with lemony goodness! Trust me! This step is so simple! You’ll be doing this for all your lemon desserts! Put sugar in a bowl with the zest of a couple of lemons and beat with a handheld mixer or stand mixer for a few minutes. The grit of the sugar breaks down the zest and releases its aromatic oils. It’s a simple way to add major lemon flavor into the sugar!
- Punch up the lemon flavor even more with pure lemon extract!
- Last but not least, we mix in bite-size nuggets of leftover Sweet & Salty Lemon Squares! They add a lemon pie quality to the ice cream! The filling creates tangy stripes of flavor! The caramelly bits of sweet and salty crust add chewy bits of texture!
If you haven’t made the Sweet & Salty Lemon Squares yet, let me say they are worth making just for this recipe!
If you love ice cream here are more recipes to try!
- Blueberry & Oatmeal Creme Pie Ice Cream~ This is still one of my favorite recipes to date. Jammy bits of juicy blueberries swirled through a vanilla/almond ice cream studded with bits of chopped oatmeal cream pies. With the Fourth of July coming up, this will be a great recipe to print or pin to your Pinterest boards!
- Funfetti & Thin Mint Cookie Ice Cream~ Confetti sprinkles and refreshing bits of chocolate/mint cookies! Need I say more? Growing up, my Mom would hide the Girl Scout Thin Mint Cookies. I could have all the Samoas and Tagalongs I wanted, but the Thin Mints? Uh-Uh! Hands off! Now that I’m an adult, I stash several extra boxes in the pantry each Spring. Mine! All Mine!! This recipe was a delicious way to stuff a few more into my diet!
- German Chocolate Ice Cream Cake~ If you are a fan of cake and ice cream, this one is for you! The recipe starts with a homemade chocolate cake that is so rich and fudgy it’s borderline a brownie! Add a layer of rich chocolate ganache, store-bought vanilla ice cream, and German Chocolate frosting complete this show-stopping Summer dessert! This is one of my most saved recipes on Pinterest!
If you would like to receive recipes from Yums & Kisses straight to your inbox, be sure to subscribe in the box at the bottom of the page! Type your first name and email address in the boxes and press Subscribe. Confirm your subscription, and you’re officially a part of the Yums & Kisses family! You can also follow me on Pinterest or Bloglovin’!Print
Triple Lemon Ice Cream! Rich and creamy homemade ice cream with layers of bright lemon flavor! Lemon zest infused sugar, and lemon extract creates the wow for the base! Chopped Sweet & Salty Lemon Squares mix in to give this lemony treat an extra punch of citrus flavor!
- Place the chopped lemon squares on a small parchment-lined tray. Freeze until the last step of the recipe.
For the Ice Cream:
- Put lemon zest and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Alternatively, use a handheld mixer. Mix on medium speed for 1-2 minutes. Doing this extracts the oils from the zest and infuses the sugar with its lemon flavor!
- Add in the salt, sour cream, and corn syrup. Mix until well combined.
- Pour into a medium-size saucepan. Whisk in the cream and milk.
- Place over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir frequently. The ice cream base should just begin to steam, and the sugar will completely dissolve.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the extracts.
- Pour the base into a large bowl or 4-cup glass measuring cup.
- When the base is room temperature, refrigerate until completely cold.
- Churn the ice cream according to the manufacturer’s recommendation.
- At the end of the churning, mix in the frozen Sweet & Salty Lemon Squares.
- Transfer the ice cream to a freezer container.
- Freeze several hours or overnight
I’m not an affiliate for Penzey’s spices, but I use many of their spices and extracts! I will vouch for the quality of their products! Their lemon, almond, and vanilla extracts are out-of-this-world! They have the purest flavor of the many other brands I’ve tried! I highly recommend seeking them out!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Churned
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: triple lemon ice cream, ice cream, lemon ice cream, frozen lemon dessert